I know most people have seen the likes of Grease or The Sound of Music at some point in their life. I was just wondering if there was a lesser known movie musical that any of you have seen or have on dvd that you'd like to use this opportunity to spread the word about.
I think mine would be De-Lovely. I dont know if it that unknown as such but its just seems to be one of those films that people have heard of but haven't seen. Its basically the story of Cole Porter, his career, his relationship with his wife, his sexuality and most importantly his music. I was familiar with some of his work through High Society (one of my favourite musicals) but its not till i watched this movie that i realised just how many great songs he was responsible for....Let's Misbehave,...Anything Goes...Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye....to name to few.
One of my all-time fave movies. :o) A MJ music vid, The Muppet Show and Star Wars all in one. I´ve loved it since I first saw it in Disneyworld Florida at age 13. It was amazing and slightly terrifying in 3D. Dann shame that they don´t show it in any of the parks anymore.
1. Into the Woods 2. Gypsy 3. The Wizard of Oz 4. Funny Girl 5. Candide 6. Annie 7. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street 8. The Sound of Music 9. Grease 10. Rent
2. Have you ever seen any live? If so where? I saw Into the Woods when I was a little kid at a local community theater. I saw Gypsy in 2003 on Broadway. I saw/was in The Wizard of Oz last year at my high school. I saw Rent on tour in Ft. Worth.
3. What is your fave song from no.2? "Everything's Coming up Roses"
4. Who is your fave character from no.4? Fanny Brice
5. What is your favourite scene in no.6? When Annie & Dr. Warbucks visit the White House and sing "Tomorrow" with Franklin & Eleanor Roosevelt.
6. Whats your favourite lyric from no.8? "When the dog bites, when the bee stings...when I'm feeling sad. I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad!"
7. What character from no.10 are you most like? JoAnn. I'm anal-retentive with Type-A personality like her.
8. Do you know all the songs from no.1? YES. And all the lines, too.
9. How many times have you seen no.3? As many times as we practiced/performed it.
10. If you could be anyone from no.5 who would you be and why? The Old Lady- because she is freaking amazingly awesome...(though that may just be because Patti LuPone played her....)
11. What is your fave quote from no7? "It's priest, have a little priest." "Is it really good?" "Sir, its too good, at least. Then again, they don't commit sins of the flesh...so its pretty fresh."
12. Of all the musicals you've listed which one is your absolute fave? Into the Woods- I fell in love with it when I was 2 1/2
I'm probably leaving out loads that I love, but off the top of my head....
1. Singin' in the Rain 2. Phantom of the Opera 3. Bugsy Malone 4. Little Shop of Horrors 5. I Love Melvin 6. The Little Mermaid 7. The Lion King 8. Man of La Mancha 9. There's No Business Like Show Business 10. Hans Christian Andersen
2. Have you ever seen any live? If so where?
Singin' in the Rain and Little Shop of Horrors, both in Nottingham. I've seen Cats too, which almost made the list, in London.
3. What is your fave song from no.2?
The Music of the Night or maybe All I Ask of You
4. Who is your fave character from no.4?
Seymour - he's so nerdy but just so cute.
5. What is your favourite scene in no.6?
The bit where Sebastian sings "Kiss the Girl" - i'm a hopeless romantic.
6. Whats your favourite lyric from no.8?
"This is my quest, to follow that star No matter how hopeless, no matter how far and to fight for the right, without question or pause, to be willing to march into hell for a heavenly cause."
That whole song gives me shivers.
7. What character from no.10 are you most like?
I guess I'm a bit of a daydreamer like Hans - but I'm not good at writing or telling stories, so perhaps not.
8. Do you know all the songs from no.1?
Absolutely! Probably even backwards.
9. How many times have you seen no.3?
Well i haven't seen it for a while but I watched it hundreds of times when i was younger ( I exaggerate not!).
10. If you could be anyone from no.5 who would you be and why?
Judy LeRoy - being gorgeous, wearing wonderful 50s dresses, starring on Broadway and getting to dance with Donald O'Connor - need I go on??
11. What is your fave quote from no7?
Well the only one I can think of right now... Simba (to Scar): "You're so weird." It's just so cute how it says it.
12. Of all the musicals you've listed which one is your absolute fave?
Singin' in the Rain, it's just got it all... comedy, romance, great songs, amazing dance routines, wonderful cast. It's just pure musical magic.
As I mentioned in my journal the other day, I went to London and saw The Lion King again last weekend. Not sure how many here have seen it, but the show has some extra songs which the Disney cartoon does not have. They are not written by Elton John and Tim Rice however, but as they are equally beautiful, I thought I´d share them here, if anyone is interested.
If you´d like a sample or two before downloading, I recommend checking out these clips. Here you get to see the amazing costumes!